From:
Kathy Birt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 1999 14:34:24 -0800
I have been assisting a mom 20 days postpartum as she
developed sore and cracked nipples that led to
mastitis. She came to me only after the mastitis.  Was
treated with abx for 10days and mastitis resolved. I
was able to correct improper latch and the nipples are
healing.  She reported all was well until last week
when she was unable to achieve proper latch on to one
breast only.  She came in and was able to latch baby
well (tends to curl bottom lip inward when taking one
breast only).  We have tried different positions
without improvement.  she just can't seem to latch on
properly when she's not here with me. Mom called today
in tears and wanting to wean the baby.  She is able to
breast feed pain free on one side.  As an "in between"
fix I am having her not breast feed on the sore side
and pump it only.  She is feeding for longer periods
on the unaffected side to increase milk supply.  After
the nipple is no longer sore perhaps try to latch baby
on again.  I am afraid she is going to end up with
mastitis again leading to her giving up the
breastfeeding altogether.  I don't know what else to
do to help her. Any suggestions?