From:
Deanne Francis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 23:40:09 -0700
Okay, oh wise ones,
I need help.  Has anybody ever heard of a mom's face and down into her neck
going numb during breastfeeding?  A mother I talked to today on the phone
(she didn't want to come in) says that her face and down into her neck goes
numb on the same side she is nursing on with every breastfeeding.  It feels
like "pins and needles - like when the anesthetic is wearing off in the
dentist's office."  As soon as she takes the baby off of one side, it feels
fine within minutes.  However, as soon as the baby begins to suckle on the
other breast, the same side of her face goes numb.  She says she rubs her
face through the entire feeding to see if she can really feel anything.

No other problems with breastfeeding in mother or baby - all is going well.
Now why the numbness?  Oxytocin burst?  Nerves along the nipple line? A
neurologic problem?  Anybody got any ideas?  Anybody read anything on it?
I have her chart sitting on my desk waiting until I hear from all you
breastfeeding gurus out there on what might be causing this before I refer
her.

If you prefer to email me privately it is
Deanne