From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 21:33:31 +1100
I've just been reading Riordan and Auerbach (never thought a text book
could be so faciniating) and it mentions it being a common sight in Saudi
Arabia to see veiled women baring their breasts to feed their baby. I've
read this somewhere else also and have been looking for a photograph of a
woman (preferably wearing the purdah?) breastfeeding her baby. The best
I've been able to come up with is a drawing. Whenever I speak to people
about the cultural issue of breastfeeding in public and mention Muslim
women who are veiled feeding in public, they are absolutley astounded
because it so challenges their ethnocentric view that breasts are private
sexual objects.
Can anyone help me.
Karleen
Australia