Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 07:33:08 -0500
Pat Young writes:

>Dear Laura, I've found that you have to go with what the parents are
>comfortable with or can cope with.

>I've had good success
>with finger feeding, I have a friend who has good luck with cup feeding and
>we've both been "stuck" with babies who get addicted to the supplemental
>method.

A baby can get "hooked" on any method of feeding that gives nourishment.  I
used to fear using one method or another because baby would see it as *the*
way to feed.  But now I use whatever seems to work and takes us a step
closer to breastfeeding, taking into consideration the parents' tolerance.

A couple of weeks ago I saw a baby who fed at the breast once, but couldn't
repeat it.  Mom's breasts were full and tight.  We tried cup feeding and
baby did extremely well with it, so I recommended that she pump and cup
feed until the breasts were softer. Mom was to continue to offer the
breast, gently, without frustration (to either).

This baby was satisfied to feed with a cup all her days.  So, after trying
to get her to the breast, I felt that a shield would help by having her in
the breastfeeding position and by introducing her to the grand world of
Suck. She fed beautifully with the shield, and mom was thrilled to stop all
of the pumping.  She hadn't complained, but I sensed that she would love to
not sit and pump at every feeding. Her milk supply was great and I was sure
that baby would continue to get plenty of milk. Count diapers though.

I suggested that for a couple of days mom just use the shield, then after
that, she could begin to remove it several times during a feeding, quickly
offering the breast.

Only 4 days after beginning the shield, baby is at the breast all of the
time.  For one day, she could latch onto one breast only, so mom used the
shield on the "funny" one.

I've seen babies who do better with finger-feeding as a step toward the
breast, some babies who can't cup feed at all, some babies who won't open
wide enough for the shield, even some who can't drink from a bottle.

If I tell a mother that her baby's throat is sore from the suctioning and
that her breastmilk is so soothing and healing for it, she is eager to pump
and feed in whatever way baby can manage. I find that at about a week after
birth the throat is better and baby is ready to do more learning. Knowing
the possible cause makes a lot of difference in the mother's patience.  It
it no longer "What's wrong with me that I can't breastfeed my baby."

All of the tools have their place and also have their drawbacks.  But so
long as mom doesn't give up the whole thing, we are on our way...  Time is
of the essence!

Pat Gima, Whose major job, many times, is Cheer Leader.  (Began practicing
in high school. "Sis Boom Bah!")

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

mailto:[log in to unmask]