Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Magda Sachs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 07:51:54 GMT
Valerie mentioned the picture from Egypt (I think it originally was in IBFAN
publications, Valerie) and I have never seen a woman in full burka or chador
breastfeeding.  Remember that there is an issue about photography for many
Muslims.  Islamic art avoids representations of humans or animals, too.  I
understand that the Qu'ran allocates the privilege of creation at this level to
Allah.

At every class party, I have a student or two who won't be in a photograph.
Sometimes, too, there are issues about who will see the photograph, because
there is a strong modesty element in what the Prophet suggests as suitable
behaviour for women especially, and women have no control over who might see
their photograph.

Magda Sachs
The Breastfeeding Network, UK