From:
Andrys Basten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 1999 08:02:40 -0800
Donald Satz wrote:

>Among other BMG offerings, Donald Scarinci asked about the Schumann piano
>concerto and violin concerto disc performed by Argerich, Kremer, and
>Harnoncourt on Teldec.
>
>. . .This mostly concerns the piano concerto where I felt the balance
>between orchestra and piano was unfavorable. . . .  Many people tend to
>think not too well of the piano concerto, and I wonder if it's
>peformances like the Argerich which lead to that opinion.  If that was
>the only one I was familiar with, I'd be thinking that the concerto was
>nothing great.

I doubt it's "performances like the Argerich" -- unless you mean, "like
the Harnoncourt" or "like the engineering on the Argerich"...  I had the
same reaction but when I raised the sound level to Loud, it made all the
difference for me.

Also, I have a version of Argerich playing this with Celibidache as well as
with Kord (presently available on Polska) + a video'd concert performance
with another conductor, and her playing of this piece will not likely be
the reason anyone thinks less of the concerto.

Andrys in Berkeley, CA
http://www.andrys.com/books.html
Search Classical: Sheet Music, Videos, CDs