From:
Judi Hall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 20:17:51 EST
Testifying in a divorce case....
    A few years back I testified in a visitation case.  The dad was insisting
on overnight visitation even though the 9 month old was breastfeeding and not
taking solids well at all.  The hardest part was knowing how to answer when
the dad's lawyer said he'd never heard of the International Board of
Lactation Consultants and how was he to know this was a legitimate
credential?  I answered that my employer recognized this and he could check
it out himself.  I would have liked to have something in writing from the
organization.  I really didn't expect that.
     The rest of the testimony was fun.  I spoke on attachment parenting and
the value of the breastfeeding relationship as well as receiving milk.  (He
was willing to give pumped milk.)  Because the baby was only 8 months old, I
could quote the American Academy of Pediatrics which was a strong endorsement
for breastfeeding.  The case went well.  The mom's lawyer called me and
thanked me, stating that my testimony was very important in denying overnight
visitation and refusing his request that the mother wean so he could have his
rights.
Judi Hall, RNC, IBCLC