From:
Denise Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 17:18:43 -1000
No I didn't see the Getaway show but have been meaning to mention the All
Saints show from about a fortnight ago.  All Saints is your usual hospital
soapie.  This particular show had a woman who was diagnosed with leukaemia
(I think) during pregnancy and was treated with chemo after delivery.  We
take up the story when the baby is several weeks (maybe more) old. the
mother has been expressing and bottle feeding the baby the breastmilk.  She
doubts her ability to care for the baby in her condition.
There's a bit of a male nurse/female nurse thing where the female nurse
doubts his ability. He talks with the mother, gives her some
self-confidence and she picks up the baby and puts it to the breast, where
it feeds very happily.
Breastfeeding and expressing breastmilk really was presented as the norm
for how you care for a newborn (leukaemia or not).
All very positive and matter-of-fact.
Denise