From:
Joy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 14:29:36 +0800
Hi all,
I suppose I had better 'come out of the cupboard' and admit that I
*do* know someone who has used a Niplette for breastfeeding purposes.
Briefly, she fed one-sided with the first baby due to inverted
nipples (one was finally OK after using a nipple shield temporarily,
the other wasn't). When she was pregnant with her second baby (and
still feeding the first), she used the Niplette on the unused side.
The final result was that she did feed from the 'bad' side with the
second baby, but the baby didn't like it much and that breast never
made very much milk (compared to the 'good' side).

So it is hard to know if the Niplette really 'worked' or not. Second
time around she was now an experienced breastfeeder, with much more
knowledge about initiation of breastfeeding, etc. So this may have
made the difference just as much as the Niplette.

When the Niplette was used, it seemed to pull breast tissue out into
the shape of the little cup, but didn't necessarily actually *evert*
the nipple. In her case the nipple was very firmly anchored down
inside. It did cause some bleeding as well, I think.