From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 20:27:15 -0400
I think that the formula folks who read this list must be laughing
themselves all the way to the bank.

As we dilute our energies, and argue over the turf ( my program is best,
mine gives so many Ceus, or this credential, or certification, or my
credential is an accurate measurement of skill, etc) we use our efforts to
stake out territory, instead of being able to accomplish something
worthwhile in this profession.

For every profession, there are always some who cannot afford an exam,
school, college, med school, etc. These are  serious problems and
challenges.  While that is true and acknowledged, I do not think that we
should lower the credential "bar,"...what would this accomplish?

I agree with Barbara Wilson Clay. The standard of IBCLC  in place to benefit
the mothers and babies, the consumers.

Would we want another professional who had completed only part of their
professional training to serve us? An architect? Structural engineer? Dentist?

I see the turf battle as a sad dilution of all of our efforts.  It is about
feeling important...unfortunately. This is my take on it.

I also see that over time, I now keenly realize what I do NOT know, as an
IBCLC. The IBCLC was a beginning point. While one can glean a lot of credits
from a fast course in lactation, and one can learn a lot of worthwhile
information, this cannot substitute for the hours and years of experience
and from the tincture of time and cannot possibly teach the skills of
judgement that one needs as an IBCLC.  For me, LLL remains the backbone of
my skills.   I started there, and have appreciated the skills that I have
been taught and have learned over the years in LLL.  Ilene, I here what you
are saying about being an IBCLC. It does make one angry. All of a sudden,
your credibility goes up a notch, whether one thinks it matters or not.

Some people think that just because you have RN after your name, that this
increases credibility re: BF. This is a sad illusion.

For the record, I don't think that being a nurse  has been of much  benefit
to  me as an IBCLC. The multidisciplinary approach is one that I
support...without any nursing prerequisite.

I think that we should stop arguing over which way is best, try to come to
an agreement on baseline professional requirements and prerequisites, and
then start working on helping mothers breastfeed and dealing with important
issues like reimbursement for services.

Just my two cents, and appreciating that while this discussion brings up a
lot of issues, that we are continuing to keep it polite and civil.

United we stand, and divided we surely fall...

Kind regards,

Kathleen

Kathleen B. Bruce, BSN, IBCLC co-owner Lactnet,TLC, Indep. Consultant
Williston, Vermont
mailto:[log in to unmask]
LACTNET Archives http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/lactnet.html