Date:
Fri, 1 Oct 1999 07:40:01 EDT
<<  My local newspaper reported that there are 24
 deaths per year related to co-sleeping in parent's bed.  Now, I think any
 number is a tragedy but every posting on Lactnet has a different number of
 recorded deaths.  I am certain I quoted my local paper accurately as I am
 sure everyone else has.  Just what is the correct number? >>

The Chicago Trib reported 121 deaths from "overlaying" in an 8 year period of
time, January 1990 to December, 1997.  That translates to 15 per year.  Now
given that "all" the deaths that occurred in adult beds were recorded, how
many deaths occurred in cribs over the same period of time?  Were the
"overlaying" deaths really SIDS?  Bear in mind there are approximately
4,000,000 babies born per year in the United States (give or take one or
two).  15 of 4,000,00 = 0.0000037%.  How many babies were deliberately
smothered in their cribs by an adult, often a boyfriend of the mother.  How
many babies died of shaken infant syndrome?  How many died of SIDS?  How many
died in car accidents?  How many of those children were in car seats?  How
many adults died in bed while sleeping with another adult?  Perhaps we should
ban co-sleeping all together?

I told my husband about all that had transpired yesterday (it was NOT a good
day -- I left my daytimer in Memphis and the hotel staff can't find it, nor
can the hospital...I couldn't function all day, plus all the horrid news r/t
co-sleeping...plus....).  He couldn't believe the government could be so
stupid as to make a pronouncement as significant as this based on ONE study
(that was flawed at that).

He couldn't believe the government was stupid?  Geeze Bob, where have you
been???

Oh well....I'm so glad something is being done.  Thanks to Kathy D, and
Heather, and everyone else that is fighting this via the media.

Jan