From:
Pam Easterday <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 00:40:23 GMT
Jalana asked for remedies for determined biting babies.
Mothers do need to keep a stern face.  Don't smile and
reassure him after he bites.  For some babies, putting him
on the floor and walking away, gives him the message.
"Mama left me?  This must be serious!"
 They cannot bite while actively nursing.  They would bite
their own tongues.  They must pause to pull back the
tongue.
This method has worked where others have failed.
Mama can have her hand under baby's chin and her thumb near
the corner of his mouth.  He won't like it, but she can
sweet talk or insist.  She must keep a watchful eye on the
nursing.  When the slightest pause happens,  she must push
her thumb in firmly on the cheek, between the gums.  If he
bites, he bites his own cheek.
I like natural consequences for misbehavior.  I think the
world might be a nicer place if we all learned at six
months that we are not allowed to hurt the ones we love.
Pam Easterday  LLLL Mt. Vernon, Ohio