Date:
Sat, 25 Sep 1999 06:38:49 EDT
One of my nursing students last year was due to give birth sometime during
her OB rotation.  At the time, I didn't see how on Earth she was going to be
able to both attend lectures and clinicals after delivering a baby.  But
then, I guess I underestimated how determined she truly was.

This student was on scholarship and had to finish college in a certain amount
of time.  She also worked full-time as a PCA (nurse's aide).  We discussed
her situation at length, and she explained that since she would be on
maternity leave from her job, that this would be the best time to continue
school, so that she could graduate before the summer, and begin working as an
RN.  She stated that they "really needed the money".

She had her baby on a Thursday, via emergency c-section.  During her labor,
she was the one who realized (by reading her own fetal monitor) that the baby
was having serious decels and called the nurses in.

She was back in clinical the next Monday.  I didn't let her stay.  She was
scared to death that I wouldn't pass her on clinical due to too many
absences.  I was scared to death of the liability, and told her I needed a
doctor's clearance before I could let her stay!  She had it on Wednesday,
less than a week after delivering via c/sec.

I gave her a less strenuous assignment for her first days back, while trying
to be careful not to lessen her clinical experience or show favoritism.  I
also leant her a Purely Yours that had been given to me to show in my
prenatal b/f classes.  She exclusivly breastfed for her baby's first 4
months, while finishing up OB and then her Peds rotation.  She graduated on
time, and passed boards the first time.

Her baby wasn't perfect:  he had had an amniotic band, and his left hand did
not develop.  She had an awful lot to deal with, but she kept telling me that
there would have been even more stress, more to handle if she did NOT finish
school on time.

This young woman did not make the same decisions that I would have.  But I
have not been in her place, and those decisions were not mine to make.  Never
underestimate individual strength in the face of adversity!

Margie Forrest, RN, BSN, IBCLC
no longer teaching at Palm Beach Community College
Lactation Consultant (approaching full-time) at Palms West Hospital,
Loxahatchee, FL