Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 14:11:31 +0000
Randee writes:

> I am working with a women who had taken micronor for 2-3 monthes
>post-partum.  Baby is five monthes old and appears to be thriving well
>though mother percieves low supply--using fenugreek, double pumping--
>getting nearly nothing--baby lost 3 oz at weight check--mother very
>anxious, baby had good latch and appropriate outputs, but fusses after
>first 3-4mins. at breast.  Mom has a letdown.  Test weight of baby showed
>an intake of 3 oz's in just 4 mins. of nursing.

I can't answer the technical question about Micronor, but it would seem to
me this is a question of confidence....I wish mothers would not judge their
capacity on what they produce for the pump!! Wouldn't it be great if they
could look at the baby instead!

The apparent loss of weight could be anything - operator error could be one
reason.  5 month old babies *do* fuss sometimes after 3-4 mons at the
breast, especially if they have taken enough, as they often do when they're
efficient and businesslike.

You've checked the latch and asked about output and the baby is thriving -
even the test weight was reassuring. She feels a letdown.

Wether or not the Micoronor has had an effect, it would seem not to be a
long term or serious one.

If the weight loss appears geniuine and it continues, then of course it's a
different story.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newvcastle upon Tyne UK