Date:
Fri, 15 Oct 1999 15:42:00 EDT
The thought on using the scent of vanilla to entice a baby to breast is
interesting.  At the Wyoming Regional Breastfeeding Conference in Sept, Kelly
Taubert, OTR/L suggested using the scent of oil of clove (on a cotton swab,
not directly on breast or nipple) to help facilitate sucking in a sleepy
baby.  She felt peppermint oil was helpful as well.  She also mentioned
ammonia, but that sounds too intense (and yucky!) to me.  Does anyone have
any info on the use of essential oils in breastfeeding? I would think they
would be minimally invasive and perhaps very calming, especially for mom.
It's a thought.

Kari Miller, LLLL CO/WY, IBCLC
We have one more beautiful afternoon before the snow arrives....off for a run
while I can!