HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Wm Liebeknecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Oct 1999 08:00:24 -0400
Most Weyman jars are 5 1/2" tall witha 3" diameter base impressed COPENHAGEN
SNUFF WEYMAN & BRO PITTSBURG, PA Weyman & Brothers founded their firm in
Pittsburg in the early 1800's.  The firm is best known for its introduction
of Copenhagen snuff it 1822.  This firm became known as Weyman-Bruton
Company in 1911: and again changed to the United States Tobacco Company.
Today this company is the world's largest snuff producer.  The crocks first
had an earthenware cover with a small knob.  Later models were said to have
a flat metal cover.  Some crocks are stamped with Copenhagen snuff with the
firm's name while others simply have the firm's name

Bill Liebeknecht
Hunter Research Inc.
Trenton, New Jersey