HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
William White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 10:55:40 -0700
Honorable List Members:

We have recently recovered fragments of crockery, some of which have
"Weyman's Snuff" imprinted near the base, from the last of 12
railroad-related construction camps being mitigated in southern Nevada, ca.
1905.  This is the only camp of the 12 for which we have identified this
particular product.

On the internet as a source (antique auction), we found someone who just
happen to be  selling an intact snuff jar of the same type, but knew
nothing of its origin (he had purchased it at a garage sell).  Based on an
internet picture the jar stud 6 to 7 inches tall and had a similar crock
material lid.

Our literature review has failed to identify a similar product and/or its
point of origin.

Does anyone in HISTARCH land have a reference or knowledge of Weyman's.
Thank you in advance for any reply........ww