Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 09:18:42 EDT
I am working with a mom who has adopted a baby. The baby was three months old
when mom got her and did and has latched on to nurse. The problem is that the
baby will not latch on with a supplementer tube of any kind at the breast.
Baby does get frustrated after just a few sucks because there is no milk.

We have tried the tubing at every different location on the breast, top,
sides everything baby will not do it just cries when she realizes it is
there. The baby was getting to the point that she refused the breast
altogether because of fighting the tubing. They have tried the low light warm
baths, the trying while sleepy, the in the middle of the night, upon waking
everything that I could come up with.

Now I am having mom just bottle feed then offer breast for comfort and not
even try with the supplementer. My theory was that maybe the baby would
slowly learn to use the breast for comfort and then maybe if milk happened
that would be a bonus.

Mom is happy if baby would just comfort suck for the closeness that it
brings. She does not expect a supply (weeks of pumping didn't show any drops)
book also looks at it as a bonus.

Mom wants me to come over this afternoon to help...not sure what she wants
but she is a wonderful woman and spending time with her is fine.

Any suggestions that anyone might have to offer please email me privately so
I am sure to get the message.

Belinda Bohnert
Nursing Matters Breastpump Sales & Rental
Indianapolis Indiana