From:
jhroibal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 11:44:30 -0600
Here are some suggestions which may be helpful.  Can the mother and
father agree that HE gets up with the toddler at night so the mom can
get some rest?  Nighttime weaning works well in that mom is much better
at coping with daytime demands on time and energy.  We tried this with
my first son who woke up at night to nurse.  It was just too easy for me
to roll over and nurse him!  My husband committed to getting up and
taking our son into another room while he rocked, hugged, cuddled and
sang to our son.  After a week of this, my son was not asking to nurse
at night. This solution requires come compromise and good communication
between the two parents.  I would "spoil" my husband with wonderful
breakfasts and dinners while he took over "night duty" for a while. It
really worked.

There are also some terrific suggestions in "Mothering Your Nursing
Toddler" by Norma Jane Bumgarner and a brand-new book called, "How
Weaning Happens" by Diane Bengson.  Good luck!

Warmly,
Heidi S. Roibal
Albuquerque, NM