Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 13:02:38 +0100
> Should the policy be clear that the staff is
>responsible for "allowing frequent, uninterrupted opportunities" and
>"observation and evaluation" of adequate feeding position, intake, etc???
>
>I feel very worried about any policy that says the "baby will feed x often
>or x number of minutes" or anything like this...  Aren't policies based on
>what the STAFF can do - not what the patient will do?

Many hospitals in the UK have bf policies, of hugely variable quality.

To be Baby Friendly, you have to have a bf policy which is communicated to
all staff who have any contact with the mother.  This is sometimes a big
stumbling block to units trying to become BF. They may have a policy, it
may be a good one (but often isn't) - but ensuring everyne knows about it
and acts on it (as opposed to it languishing in a drawer somewhere) is very
difficult.

My own pet hate is the use of the word 'allow'. Mothers are 'allowed' to
feed unrestrictedly or whatever....as if the staff are giving permission
for this to happen : (  In fact, the 10 Steps to BF try to ensure that
obstacles to unrestricted feeding are removed, which is rather different to
'allowing' it.

I do like Jeanette's suggestion of 'uninterrupted' as that implies the
relaxed, non-meddlesome support that's needed.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK