Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 20:03:49 EDT
We, at Best Start, distribute Healthy Mothers Healthy Babies "Working and
Breastfeeding".  We have had many comments and questions as to why we use the
guidelines we do in the booklet.  This guideline that is found there is the
one currently "blessed" by AAP.  It is conservative and I personally am a bit
more comfortable with the conservative side of the guidelines.

I guess I feel this way from working in the Public Health arena.  I have had
clients tell me that they unplug the refrigerator at night to save
electricity, have had friends who push the limits rather than throw
breastmilk or ABM or even foods away.  I have also talked to Moms who have
not followed the guidelines to the letter and they say they are fine....so
they are probably using the longer guidelines anyway.  I guess this is
perhaps not really politically correct, but I know who would be called if the
baby got sick after they "pushed" the longer guidelines.  Am I totally off
base here????

Linda Inglis
Palm Harbor, FL