From:
Johan van Veen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 00:01:52 +0200
Stuart Karow wrote:

>Can you pick a few recordings from King's Handel discography that stand
>out.  In particular, I am interested in expanding the small representation
>of Handel in my collection, beyond, the Concerti Grosso, Water Music, and
>Royal Fireworks.  Thank you.

I am not always enthusiastic about King's recordings.  For example, his
present Vivaldi series are largely a failure, in my view.  But in Handel he
is generally very good, in particular when he uses the Choir of New College
Oxford (one of the world's best boys' and men's choirs).  So here are my
recommendations:

- the Coronation Anthems (Hyperion - CDA66350) (every Handel lover should
have these anthems; with the Choir of New College Oxford)

- Birthday Ode for Queen Mary; Wedding Anthem 'Sing unto God'; Te Deum
(with Fisher, Bowman, Ainsley & George and New College Choir) (Hyperion -
CDA66315) And then the oratorios: most of them are good, and of course the
music is brilliant.  I would especially recommend:

- Joshua (relatively unknown work; excellent soloists, especially Kirkby
and Bowman) (Hyperion - CDA66461/62)

- Judas Maccabaeus (again with Kirkby and Bowman; less attractive the
mezzosoprano Denley; again New College Choir) (Hyperion - CDA66641/42)

- The Occasional Oratorio (unknown piece, but very worthwile; the
Hallelujah-chorus from Messiah is also in it; especially the Choir of
New College is brilliant) (Hyperion - CDA66961/62)

Then some smaller scale works: Italian duets by the King's Consort with
Gillian Fisher and James Bowman; an excellent recording.  When you like
Handel's operas you will love these pieces (Hyperion - CDA66440).

I hope these recommendations are useful.

Johan van Veen
Utrecht (Netherlands)