From:
"Stephen E. Bacher" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 17:58:51 -0400
Felix Delbruck writes:

>if I remember correctly, what [Beethoven] and [Mozart] both found most
>remarkable about Bach was the harmonic concentration, the 'cramming of
>harmonies' into the music.  Interesting, given that today Bach is seen
>more as the great polyphonist.

No contradiction at all.  It was Bach's ability to cram all those harmonies
into a small space *through* "mere" polyphony that made him a genius.  And
such a wide-ranging spectrum of emotions with all those harmonies - not to
mention the stunningly expressive melodies.  He surely knew how to exploit
intervallic leaps.

I've found, that, as Mimi suggested, the best way to appreciate Bach's
brilliance and depth is to sit down and play his music, even something as
"simple" as one of his two-part inventions.  You can play it any number
of times, and not the same way any two of those times, and you can still
marvel at the riches packed into each measure.

 - seb