From:
Ed Zubrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 09:28:09 -0400
Stephen Bacher cites Mimi and says:

>I've found, that, as Mimi suggested, the best way to appreciate Bach's
>brilliance and depth is to sit down and play his music, even something as
>"simple" as one of his two-part inventions.  You can play it any number
>of times, and not the same way any two of those times, and you can still
>marvel at the riches packed into each measure.

I want to second (third?) this comment.  My lack of skill at the piano
means that even selections from the Anna Magdalena notebook require hard
work to learn.  However, once learned and "under the fingers" some of
the magic that Stephen and others have spoken of becomes evident and the
multiple facets of the music become apparent in ways they can't from simply
listening.

Ed