From:
Johan van Veen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 1999 09:58:18 +0200
Donald Satz wrote:

>Bob Draper wrote:
>
>>But what is HIP?  Koopman records Haydn's Keyboard concertos as H
>>Harpsichord concertos.  The identical works in Philippe Entremont's
>>HIP series are recorded with pianoforte.
>
>I wasn't aware of a Entremont HIP Haydn concerto series.  Could I please
>have the label and orchestra identification?
>
>I think most informed folks have a good idea of what "HIP" signifies: use
>of period instruments and an attempt to get "back to basics." But, that
>leaves much room for lack of agreement.  For me, the minimum qualification
>is period instruments - particularly stringed instruments and vocalists who
>know they're not singing Verdi or Puccini.

Entremont most definitely doesn't use period instruments.  The fact that Mr
Draper wrote "pianoforte" is perhaps due to the fact that in some languages
(like Italian) "pianoforte" is the common word for "piano".  If a recording
is made on a period instrument the commonly used word is "fortepiano" (also
in Italian recordings).  There are hardly recordings on fortepiano.  There
is one (of Concerto nr 11) by Jorg Demus and the Collegium aureum (deutsche
harm.  mundi) and by Jorg Ewald Dahler (on Claves - I have no further
details).

Johan van Veen
Utrecht (Netherlands)