From:
Felix Delbrueck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 1999 15:38:58 +1200
Juozas Rimas asked for Chopin recommendations:

Josef Hofmann:

Concerto no 2 and a small 1935 fragment of concerto no 1, from Complete
Josef Hofmann vol 1 (VAI)
Ballade no 1 and Andante Spianato & Grand Polonaise from Complete JH vol 2
(VAI)
Ballade no 4 from Complete JH vol 6 (Marston)

Alfred Cortot:

Preludes (1933/4)
Sonata in b minor (1931)

Many other famous recordings by him (Ballades etc), but I don't know the
specifics.

Sergei Rachmaninoff:

Scherzo no 3
Sonata in b flat minor

Ignaz Friedmann:

Some mazurkas

Rubinstein:

Nocturnes, mazurkas
Some good stuff on a live recording from Moscow in 1964 (on a Revelation
disc), especially the Barcarolle

Arrau:

His later Chopin records tend to be more interesting than his earlier
ones.  There is a Philips disc from his late years in the 1980's with
miscellaneous pieces (Fantasy, 3rd ballade I think, nocturne in F sharp
major op 15 etc) - very beautiful.

Felix Delbruck