From:
John Vanek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 20:13:45 -0700
I have several problems that I could use your expertice on. First, I got
a call today from a midwife who is working with a mother about to quite
nursing due to chronic blocked nipple pores. She is on a low fat diet,
uses no creams on the nipple, and has a baby who nurses well. Any magic
cures?

I have a lovely mom who desperately wants to nurse and quite smoking.
She just delivered 2 days ago and was prescribed Zyban. From what I can
tell, it is contraindicated. Are there any alternatives safe and
effective that she might try?

Lastly, One of our Pedi's had her first baby at age 45. She is
desperately low on milk and is convinced it is due to her age. She was
on infertility  hormones and feels it was amazing that she got pregnant.
We have ruled out all "normal" causes of decreased supply. She is
pumping, taking fenugreek, and I've given her info. on Reglan. Is there
any published literature linking age to inability to produce?

My many thanks, Dawn Staudt-Vanek RN, IBCLC