From:
Joan Edelstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Sep 1999 13:49:42 -0800
Add me to the list of those in the study along with Jean. First, there's
an interesting critique from JAMA worth looking at
(http://www.cop5.org/news/weight.html )

However, what I want to mention here is the newer study on teenage
daughters of the nurses. My daughter, who is 13, has been in the newer
study (for some reason I simply can't remember at the moment what it's
called) for a year so they can follow women prospectively. I don't
recall any extensive questioning about how she was breastfed. I do plan
on contacting the folks in charge of the research on that study -
they've been very responsive in the past. Perhaps they can include more
extensive questioning in the future.

One problem with that is the teens are under no obligation to have
parents help them fill out the questionnaires so it may not be possible
to get complete or accurate data. In one of the questionnaires they had
sketches for the girls to match their bodies to in order to get a Tanner
score. My daughter doesn't mind if I look at her questionnaire and her
perception of her body was quite a bit off. The sketches weren't too
hot, either. In any case, she put herself at least one Tanner below what
she really was at the time. When I talked to her about it, it was
because she saw her breasts as very small (34B in reality) and so
checked off the box  that pretty much showed breast buds. I wrote to
them at the time to let them know that part of the questionnaire might
not be too reliable - as apparently much of their results are not!

Joan Edelstein