From:
Darlene A Breed <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Aug 1999 01:11:04 -0400
I am way behind in answering my mail.  It is not cheaper to use a new kit
each time a mother pumps.  The kits are expensive.  Mothers pump sereral
times a day sometimes.  Especially with baby in NICU.   We give one kit
to the mother.  She washes her kit with hot soapy water and rinses it
with hot water, lets it dry on a clean paper towel in a basin that is
provided to her by the hospital.  She puts another clean papertowl over
top the kit until the next use.  Breasts are not sterile and therefore we
do not require mothers to sterilize the kit.  They only wash the part of
the kit that touches the milk.  We have had no increase in infection in
out hospital with this practice.  It is approved by the infection control
division and the neonatologists as well as the breastfeeding resource
team ( a team of RNs who work on the floors and help support the
Lactation process and Lactation Consultants.

Hope this helps.
Darlene Breed, BSN, RN, IBCLC
Coordinator, Milk Bank/Breastfeeding Center
Worcester, MA
Worcester, MA (USA)