Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 09:18:17 -0500
>You may want to check out the "dimple ring" marketed by Chele
>Marmet at the Lactation Institute in CA.  This is a device which is
>fastened at the base of the nipple to keep it from re-inverting after a
>nursing session.  It is meant to be used for a few minutes in order
>to give the nipple a chance to dry out before it goes back in.  Have
>never used them myself, but have seen them and it sounds like
>something that could help in your mom's situation.  Has anyone
>out there used them?

I agree with Sharon that the Dimple Ring is a good idea.  I had one mom who
used it and it was helpful.  But before I acquired one I used what Chele
used with her own "adhesed" nipples, which she then called "Dimpled
Nipples."  I had mom use a hair clip on the base of the nipple to keep it
from everting before it dried.  The mom also used a hair dryer (warm or
cold air), making sure that the nipple on the first breast was fully dry
before going to the second breast.

Another mom didn't want to use the hair clip, but held the nipple out with
her fingers while drying with the hair dryer.

In the cases I've seen, after a month or so the nipples stayed out and mom
could cease the ministrations.

Maybe <[log in to unmask]> will tell us anything new that Chele presented at
the LLL conf.

These cases don't come up often, but they are certainly bad when they do.

Pat Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

mailto:[log in to unmask]