Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 1999 07:32:16 EDT
Jennifer Lane write:
<< Nighttime issues are a big deal for me, I was one of
 those kids never allowed near my parents' bed and can remember crying at
 their door only to be yelled at to go back to my bed. I still am afraid
 of the dark and sleep with a light on.  >>

Jennifer,
My husband remembers creeping into his parents room and sleeping beside their
bed when he was afraid.  When his mother got up she stepped on him and was
very angry.  From then on they locked their door.  After that he remembers
sleeping outside their door on the wood floor in the hall.  He was also
scolded and punished for that too.  Sleeping with our children has actually
been a healing experience for him.  By our third child he did not even put up
the crib and loved cuddling with the kids at night and especially in the
morning.
My oldest son said it best when he was 3 years old and I was trying to keep
him in his own room:  "But Mommy, YOU get to sleep with somebody!"
Out of the mouth of babes. . . . . . .
After his sister was born, I gave up trying and we all slept together.  Guess
what?  His nightmares stopped and my 2nd and 3rd children never had any.   I
think many nightmares are the result of a child's inability to cope.
Now my children are 24, 19 and 15.  I get compliments on how warm and caring
they are.  My oldest just got married and informed me their children will be
breastfed and sleep in the bed with them!   His lovely bride agrees.
I am a happy mom/momther-in-law.
Jane Bradshaw RN, BSN, IBCLC
Lynchburg, VA