From:
Mandy O'Reilly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 19:45:59 -0400
Dear All

Yes I agree with the use of a doula. But it could also be a known midwife or
nurse who stays with the women to give her emotional support and protection.

3 Books on this topic that are well worth reading:

Empowering women  - Andrea Robertson
The midwife companion  - Andrea Robertson
Birthing from within  - Pam England & Rob Horowitz

All 3 books are available from ACEgraphics in Australia
(www.acegraphics.com.au) They also sell in the UK

Andrea Robertson is a childbirth educator and has done some great work.

Also read Birth reborn - Michel Odent. I think he has some very very
relavant things to say about the birth process. He has done excellent work
on the role of oxytocin and birthing as a natural physiological process.
I think he is a must read for everyone involved in birth and babies.
(also through ace)

I personally don't teach women breathing or any particular method. But
concentrate on helping women to familiarize themself with normal birth and
birth as a normal physiological process. Giving the power back to them -
their bodies know what to do. And in the vast majority of cases do it very
well. This has parallels to breastfeeding. Think how many problems are
caused rather than being there in the begining.

I base my teaching of women, and also my actions with them while they are
birthing, on the role of adrenalin. Adrenalin antagonises oxytocin. So with
too much adrenalin going the women is unable to birth physiologically, her
uterus does not work properly and she has lots of pain. The reason for this
is that adrenalin is very good at doing what it was meant to do. High levels
of adrenalin at the wrong time mean that the uterus is deprived of blood
when it is working hard. We all know that ischemia causes pain.

In synopsis if one wants to use the so called non pharmacological methods of
pain relief you have to do it properly. This requires a big attitude change
for many nurses, doctors and midwives. Give the power back to the women,
acknowledge her pain but do not intervene unnecessarily. Let her body do the
work. Remember there are many variations on what we perceive as normal.

Light low, use of water, massage, doulas, a home like environment only work
if the person facilitating the birth has the right suportive atitude.

PS don't forget the birthing ball too. Never had a women fall of one!

Kind Regards

Mandy O'Reilly
Rn.Rm