From:
Bonnie Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Aug 1999 14:25:05 -0400
A few days ago Marie asked for info regarding the effect of iron supplements
in milk (how it decreases absorption of iron in breastmilk).  I think I
understand the question.  This is how I explain it:  breast milk contains
iron that is so bioavailable that it is very well absorbed.  Baby gets the
right amount without overloading the gut (and giving harmful bacteria the
extra oxygen they require to thrive - iron carries O2 molecules).

When babies gets iron supplements in formula, cereal, or any form, when they
are at an age that they should be exclusively breastfeeding, then that
supplement is displacing the amount of breastmilk they would be getting
(that has the perfect source of iron for them).  They get less breast milk,
and instead get the supplement with the inferior source of iron (it is less
bioavailable).  Therefore iron absorption is affected because it is coming
from an inferior source.

I hope this is helpful and would be glad to learn more about iron myself, if
anyone has a better explanation, or if I misunderstood the question.

Bonnie, LLL Leader in Laurel, MD

.