Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 17:41:20 EDT
i used to have polyarthritis, an autoimmune disease like lupus, RA and
sjogren's. when i was ill, if i tried to take echinacea (an immune system
stimulator) i would get worse. (i found that i rarely ever had even a hint of
a cold or flu type illness, probably because my immune system was in high
gear already, but taking the echinacea made me sicker.)

i didn't take an herbal galactgogue when i was actively ill, but i am in
remission now and have taken my own tincture a few times and not had any
effects except for the desired one of increasing milk supply. this is merely
anecdotal, but since the herbals are stimulating prolactin, this mother may
do just fine. however, if she has an unusual reaction to them, or feels worse
taking them, don't discount the possibility that her disease has complicated
matters.

carol brussel IBCLC