From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 06:31:56 -0400
Ron said it better than I did, concerning the supercedure of
emergency queens asking why should they be poor queens. I have
heard no good reason.
I am coming to the conclusion that those who think emergency
queens are inferior go by the book and what the book says. And if
you look at the case that the books deal with, then I tend to
agree that emergency queens will be of lesser quality than
superceeded queens. In the book there is no outside interference
or control. The books deal simply with a failing queen that the
bees superceed or the sudden loss of a queen leading to an
emergency queen. In the supersedure case, the bees have control
and there will be eggs or young larva so the created queen will
be half decent. In the sudden loss of a queen, depending on the
time of year, the bees may not have as many options.
But put the beekeeper into the equation as the intentional maker
of the emergency queen, and the emergency queen should be much
better than a supercedure. For example, I wait for a strong honey
flow in spring, usually dandilion or clover. The hive is strong.
The queen is laying well with lots of eggs and young larva. I put
the emergency hive over the laying queen hive so they are warm.
And I make sure the emergency hive has loads of bees.

I repeat my observation that my queens are excellent. Once and a
while I get a dud, but I had more problems with store bought
queens than my emergency queens.
Two years ago, I had one weak queen and figured its hive would
die over the winter. Came through fine and finally gave the hive
to a friend who lost all his hives regularly over the winter.
When I last checked, my hive was still going strong, all from
"inferior" emergency queens.
I am a hobby beekeeper, not commercial, who relys on emergency
queens alone. I have not bought a queen in six years and have
only been keeping bees for eight years.
Bill T
Bath, ME