Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Julie Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 1999 09:33:51 EDT
Hello,
    I am writing with information on Desogen.  It is a combined oral
contraceptive containing Ethinyl Estradiol (30 mcg) and Desogestrel (0.15
mg).  OrthoCept is another brand name for the same OCP.  With 30 mcg,
Desogen/OrthoCept contains some of the lowest estrogen content in OCP's on
the market.  In fact, the only brand names with less estrogen are Alesse and
Loestrin which contain 20 mcg of ethinyl estridiol and 0.1 mg levonorgestrel.
    My understanding is that side effects are similar to those of the other
familiar oral contraceptives.  I usually suggest the progestin-only pills to
breastfeeding moms, but I have had a few insist on combined OCP's. I have
used Alesse and Desogen, and Moms' major concerns have been loss of supply
and one mom felt the baby "didn't like the taste of her milk and quit
nursing."  This mom had this occur before I met her, so I do not know if this
was related to other issues or truly the medication.  Hope this helps.
Julie Wood, MD, FAAFP, IBCLC Hopeful