Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Mary Renard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 11:18:51 -0400
******
Once again, my disclaimer:  I *used* to work for IBLCE but I do not speak
for them.  I'm glad to share my perspective and experience, but please be
sure to contact the appropriate IBLCE office for clarification regarding
specific current policies.
******
I would also like to respectfully suggest that discussion about IBLCE exam
administration, policies, etc. be taken off-list at this point.  I strongly
believe in IBLCE's mission and support its work, and I am in a position to
know that no one at the International Office in Virginia is reading Lactnet
at the moment - hence I do feel compelled to speak up with some additional
information and clarifications.  But I *really* think that persons with
questions or concerns about IBLCE's practices should contact IBLCE.  They
can be reached at <[log in to unmask]>
******

Anyway, I hope this is my 'last gasp' for this discussion on-list!
Barbara and Suzanne describe situations where there is a suspicion that an
exam candidate was not truthful in describing her hours of clinical
experience with breastfeeding mothers and babies.

Barbara asked:
>So my question is: Do nurses get to count all their work hrs? Or just the hrs
>spent in bfing counseling? Who checks on this?

NO, nurses are not supposed to count all their work hours.  The exam
application clearly shows that you are supposed to estimate the percentage
of time spent at work that is breastfeeding-related.  If the candidate
indicated that she was an L&D nurse, the staff person reading her
application would have assumed a low percentage of her time spent on
breastfeeding.  Recall, however, that an exam candidate can report both
recent and 'old' clinical experience - there is no time limit for the
clinical hours earned.  So, for example, a candidate who's been working L&D
for the last three years, was not working for the previous five, and had
worked as a postpartum nurse for the ten years before that, could well have
accrued the necessary experience.  You can count back as far as you need to
in order to account for experience.

Suzanne's situation:
>  The practice in
>question in my situation is the "alleged" falsification of clinical
>experience from a candidate sitting for the exam.  This suspicions
>surrounding this candidate was reported to the examiner's board and all they
>said was that the candidate's paperwork was in order and they couldn't do
>anything about it.  My question: What good does it do to report or have a
>self-governing policy?

It *does* do good to report a concern, but it may not end with the result
you'd like.  Usually all that can be done is to make a note of the concern,
and scrutinize the application more carefully for inconsistencies.
Sometimes references submitted with the application are called; note that
on the part of the application where you list your clinical experience,
you're asked to give contact information for supervisors in jobs you've
worked at during the past five years.  So there are ways to follow up if a
complaint is made.  If that follow-up doesn't reveal the concerns that were
reported, it would be difficult to think of an appropriate next move - I
presume that's what is meant by "the paperwork was in order and they
couldn't do anything about it."  The situation ends up being a question of
"Who do you believe?"  You can't take one person's word over another's.

Again, I urge anyone with questions to contact IBLCE directly!

Mary Riley Renard, RN, BSN, IBCLC
formerly CERP/Recertification Coordinator for IBLCE (posting only for myself)
Vienna Virginia  USA