HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
SouthArc <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 10:00:16 -0400
Help ceramics experts--

We have a single small sherd of a ceramic which I haven't been able to
identify using my usual sources.  It's not critical to understanding the
site but it has pricked my curiousity, so any help would be appreciated.

The sherd is a thin, very hard red paste (yes--red).  The interior is white
slipped and the exterior has zones or bands of deep blue and
brown/black--divided approx. equally on the entire exterior surface of the
small fragment (approx. 1.5 cm square).  The junction between the two colors
is not a sharp line--sort of softened.  Both sides appear to have a clear
glaze.  Based on the curve, I'm guessing a bowl or cup.

The other ceramics from the site are typical mid-19th to early-20th century
wares (whitewares and ironstones).  Historic information on the property
suggests settlement perhaps as early as Second Seminole War (1836-42) but
primary occupation is probably ca. 1850's when it was part of a plantation.

                        Lucy Wayne