HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 12:07:25 -0400
Lon and Meta--thanks for the lead and the references.  I'm familiar with
lustre ware, but I thought it was on whiteware/ironstone pastes.  This is a
redware paste--a very hard, thin example--almost like stoneware.  The
interior white slip is quite thin and the clear glaze on both sides is
slightly crackled--apparently with age/damage rather than intentionally.
The blue on the exterior is a clear bright blue--pretty much the basic blue
on a color spectrum.  Where the two color zones intersect there is a narrow,
almost black band--it seems to be from one color being placed over the
other.  The brown zone is a deep, dark brown and since it is under the clear
glaze, it doesn't seem to be a case of copper lustre which has darkened.

Does the further description help?  Lustre would certainly fit the time
period for the site as well as going along with the several colors of
transfer print ware we have.

                        Lucy Wayne