HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Betsy Cassebeer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 May 1999 11:21:16 -0700
The following article was brought to my attention by one of Gray & Pape's
architectural historians:

Gordon, Steve
1994  "Decorative and Functional Clay Tile: Architectural Design in Ohio
1875-1920"  Tile Heritage: A Review of American Tile History.  Tile Heritage
Foundation.  Spring Vol.1(1):10-21.

This article has _some_ information on ceramic drain tile.

The editor of the magazine (and quarterly newsletter) asked me to tell
"histarchers" that he would _love_ to receive articles submitted by
archaeologists for publication concerning ceramic tiles (drain tiles in
particular!) recovered on archaeological sites.  The information follows:

Tile Heritage
Joseph A. Taylor - editor
P.O. Box 1850
Healdsburg, CA  95488
707.431.8453 (foundation's phone)
707.431.8455 (fax)
[log in to unmask] (email)
www.aimnet.com/~tcolson/pages/tileorgs.htm has links to various tile groups
including "Tile Heritage Foundation" and "Friends of Terra Cotta"

Betsy Cassebeer
Laboratory Supervisor
Gray & Pape, Inc.

[log in to unmask] (personal)

"For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbours, and laugh at
them in our turn?"  Jane Austin "Pride and Prejudice"