From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Aug 1999 13:55:48 PDT
Just a little history.  John Dalmas was skeptical that the Schubert
Octet recording I bought "many years ago" contained any coupling.  Then,
I provided the sufficient facts to show that this Vienna Octet recording
on Decca indeed had a Mozart divertimento as a coupling.

John Dalmas wrote:

>Come on, Don, you never cease to amaze me.  You said, "many years ago."
>If you think of 1988 as "many years ago," I can only believe you are in
>some kind of a time warp of your own devising.

I wish my wife, Ellen Jane, was as amazed by me as frequently as John
appears to be.  Time warps are my specialty; I can remain in one for more
than 25 days straight.  And, I can also put myself in a subject matter warp
as well.  What's going on?

As for whether 11 years can reasonably be considered "many", I'll leave that
for the readers.

>In the current Schwann catalog, of the 14, I assume "state of the
>art," Cds available of the Octet on a single disc, only four contain
>a coupling.

That's not such a low percentage, and it will rising over time to the point
where a disc without coupling will be at a competitive disadvantage.  This
likely won't take "many" years.

>Perhaps technology needs to keep up with Donald Satz to remain in the
>running.

I don't inititate technology; I just respond to it.

Don Satz