From:
Mary Renard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 22:17:24 -0400
Denny, yay for you for taking the exam to recert at five years!  There are
always several people who do this and they are virtually always pleasantly
surprised by the experience.

Now that you've recertified by exam at five years, you DO have the option
of using the CERP recertification option for your next recertification.
The exam requirement is that you MUST take the exam when it has been ten
years since you last took it - not ten years since you *first* took it.
Hope I am explaining that clearly.  In other words, when you originally get
certified by passing the exam, you are not locked into a sequence of CERPs
- exam - CERPs - exam.  The exam is *always* an option and when you've most
recently recertified by exam, your next recertification five years later
*may* be by CERPs if you choose.

(sorry for all the capital letters; I'm not shouting, simply trying to
emphasize the key points!)

Mary Riley Renard, RN, BSN, IBCLC
formerly IBLCE's Recertification Coordinator but now posting only for myself
Vienna Virginia  USA