From:
Patrica Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 14:34:08 -0400
Maternal Identity and the Maternal Experience by Reva Rubin, 1984, Springer
publishing Co., NY.  Might be available through interlibrary loan.
Rubin's "Puerperal Change" Reconsidered. Martell & Mitchell. 1984, JOGNN
May/June , pp. 145149.
Reva Rubin Revisited .Templeton et al. 1988, JOGNN Nov/Dec., pp 394-399.
Maternal Tasks of the Puerperium Identified. Ament. 1990, JOGNN July/Aug.
pp. 330-335.
Basic Maternal Behavior. Rubin.  1961, Nursing Outlook,  9(11),  pp.
683-686.
Puerperal Change. Rubin.  1961, Nursing Outlook, 9 (12), pp.753-755.
Maternal Touch. Rubin.  1963, Nursing Outlook, Nov. 1963. pp 828-831.
Attainment of the Maternal Role, Part 1. Processes.  Rubin.  Nursing
Research 16 (3), pp. 237-245.
Attainment of the Maternal Role, Part II. Models and Referrants. Rubin.
Nursing Research 16 (4), pp. 342-346.

Reading these is fascinating, when you realize how drastically maternity
care has changed in the intervening years.  I would imagine there would be
some more current articles looking at Taking in, Taking hold.  Personally I
think these still take place and do have impact on what we try to teach
moms during those first 48 hours (if we are lucky to have them that long
:-)  That's why a drop in clinic for babies to be checked on day 4  or 5 is
so important.  By that point most moms are ready to take hold and learn
everything you thought you taught them 4 days ago :-)  The 1990 JOGNN
article mentions that these are still valid phases but the time frames  for
TI & TH have been altered, and that was in 1990 before drive-thru
deliveries.  Sincerely, Pat in SNJ