Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Alice Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jul 1999 00:59:28 +0100
Hello to all!!!

I am new to lactnet, and have been following the discussions regarding ABM
"donations" in emergencies with a great deal of interest (closely related to
my research).

For those interested in following up the issue there are many good resources
around. Marsha I think has already mentioned the ILCA policy statement. I
also find this to be the other really useful one - I think it has recently
gone from a draft policy to a ratified one:
http://www.tcd.ie/Community_Health/ENN/InfantFeedingReport/index.html

I think one of the great difficulties is the gamut of complex situations that
are collected under the heading of "emergency" or "disaster". This is often
done without regard for the complex global, and diverse local realities which
inhibit women's capacity to make a livelihood, in turn leading to the
"disaster" or the "emergency".

Gaining awareness of such realities leads me to think critically about the
politics of "aid" and "development" as a whole (not just ABM) - but this is
never the popular thing to do! As Dom Helder Camara once said "When I give
food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food
they call me a communist"....food for thought, so to speak...

Also, for those interested in the toxins issue, the following might be of
interest:
http://www.guardianunlimited.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,3883122,00.html

Every good wish :0)

Alice (from Australia).