From:
Joy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Aug 1999 21:19:43 +0800
>lisa is correct in mentioning that dr. newman states that there is no reason
>not to use cow's milk after six months. there isn't anything to "prove" that
>any formula is better than cows milk (whole milk) after that time. i
>personally tell moms this, and that whatever their family drink is (soy milk,
>cows milk etc.) they have to make a decision as to what to give the baby in
>addition to breastmilk (luckily i ain't usually talking to the formula ones).
>think about it this way, if the baby is primarily breastfed, then some cows
>milk is going to be fine, and probably better than juice (or dr. pepper?) in
>terms of nutrition, and also, it doesn't come from an ABM manufacturer, does
>it?
>
>carol brussel IBCLC

I more-or-less agree with what you are saying, Carol, but if a baby
is still breastfed, why does he or she need extra milk to drink at
all? I can understand the possible use of cow's milk in other foods,
like custard, to mix with cereals, etc, and that's probably OK, but
if the baby is thirsty, ie wants a *drink*, I believe we should be
encouraging mothers to give water - to get children used to drinking
water as a matter of course, and the parents should do so as well,
both for their children's sake (modelling) and their own. As long as
the child is still breastfeeding, he or she will be getting plenty of
the best type of milk in addition to the solids.

With my own children, I found that they didn't need drinks, as such,
apart from breastfeeds, for about 2 months after starting solids, and
then they started with a spout cup. In the in-between period, they
had plenty of wet nappies, so I knew they were OK fluid-wise.

As I understand it, the directive not to use straight cow's milk
before 12 months (and that is what is advised in Australia too) is
based on the fear that mothers will give whole bottles of cow's milk
as 'meals', just as they did earlier with formula, and as someone
else pointed out, this can lead to nutritional deficiencies if they
are eating little else.