Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Kathleen G. Auerbach" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Aug 1999 13:19:25 -0800
Recertification by exam is a necessary means by which people are moved
closer to remaining/staying/getting current.

Numerous studies have shown that people who are simply required to send in
verification of CEs obtained (xN in a given time period) do NOT stay
current.  Every certification is evidence of MINIMAL COMPETENCY.  That is
not maintained when no exam is required.

Studies in numerous professions have shown that exam is the only way people
stay current.  We should consider ourselves fortunate.  We must take a
minimal competency exam only every 10 years.  In some cases, professionals
in other disciplines must do so every 5 years-which we could do, too, if we
choose not to use the CERPs option in the 5 year spans.

A colleague and I did a study of both practice attitudes and practice
actions and we found that the ONLY variable that predicted  practice
patterns was the date of the person's having graduated from their
professional school!  This means that those who had a degree/license 40
years ago were still practicing as they had been TAUGHT, not as things had
been learned since that time.  ACK and double ACK!

Think about it.  Do you want to be identified as practicing as you were
taught, 5, 10, 15, 25, 40 years ago?  I certainly would not.

Testing is essential if the profession is to be viewed as credible.  Think
of it this way if your own reputation is not the issue for you.  The public
deserves to be able to count on the IBCLC as knowing at least theminimal
level of competency determined to be relevant OVER time, not just when she
first took the exam.

I am not saying that most IBCLCs do this, but please be aware that many
people who attend conferences to get CEs spend their "education time" on
the golf course, in the swimming pool, etc. and they are not necessarily
boning up on what they should be studying!  Yet, they still get their CEs
for having spent the money to sign up.  Is it any wonder that their skills
do not reflect the newest things being shared but rather what they were
required to learn (through testing) when they were first degreed/licensed?

I applaud IBLCE for sticking to this particular element in spite of the
screams of many who do not want to have to take the exam a 2nd, 3rd, etc.
time.  Requiring repeated examination means the profession will be advanced
and be seen as credible by others.  Isn't that what we all want?

     mailto:[log in to unmask]

"We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly
disguised as impossible situations."
Kathleen G. Auerbach,PhD, IBCLC (Ferndale, WA USA) [log in to unmask]