From:
Becky Flora <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jul 1999 11:05:02 -0400
Hello,

I am currently working for a pediatric website answering questions on a
breastfeeding forum.  There has been some discussion by several moms about
their lack of sexual desire, vaginal dryness, etc. of which I will respond
to.  But this morning, another mom posted the following.  I haven't heard of
this term, "lactational atrophy" and tend to think that her DR's diagnosis
was a little exagerrated.  Nevertheless, she is raising some added concerns
among the other mothers.  I searched the archives and came up with nothing.
Before I respond to her I would like to get any input from you all.  I know
that low estrogen levels and other hormonal influences during lactation have
been associated with decreased libido, dryness, painful intercouse, etc.,
but clitoral atrophy?? Do you think this is just a case of a DR "blaming"
breastfeeding for what he can't fully explain or offer a specific
explanation for?? Following is her post:

 "This is something no one, not even La Lech League tells you. The week
after I had my 5 month old, I went to see the doctor because I had some
burning
 upon urination and I thought it might be a bladder infection. My doctor
said there was no infection; I was just experiencing early lactational
atrophy due to
 lower levels of estrogen. Not only does this atrophy account for decreased
lubrication, it also makes the tissue of the vulva more irritable, and, my
clitoris
 has almost disappeared. No wonder the lot of us are experiencing lower sex
drives and discomfort during intercourse. It all makes sense, of course,
from a
 biological standpoint. And none of it is enough for me to rush to wean my
baby. Still, I wish I would have known about this atrophy before I started
 nursing. All anyone ever talks about is vaginal dryness, and it seems
there's a lot more to it than that.

 Fortunately, even a very miniscule clitoris works, and what nature doesn't
provide in the way of lubrication, the drugstore does. I am looking forward
to the
 return of my estrogen plumped up self, though, even as I feel saddened by
the thought of weaning my babe. I guess we can't have it all."

Thanks all!  Please respond to the group.  My email volume overwhelms me at
times!

Becky Flora