From:
Tim Rich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 23:40:09 -0400
The Burlingames(Meri) said

" . . . I have one hive that the ants are in. Put it on a new stand today
and could see the big black ants making a trip from bottom into the top one
right after another.  Do any of you have good suggestions for dealin with
this problem.  Someone mentioned putting the legs of the stand in small
cans of oil...vegie oil or recyled auto oil.....Any ideas are welcome. "

I have used the ant bait traps that cause the ants to carry poison back to
their home.  Place it across their path and wait.  Had the problem twice.
 Make sure that the type of bait that you get is *not* accessible by the
bees, as it will poison them also.  We have plenty of ants around here to
experiment with, I am currently trying using boric acid with sugar water -
others have said it works.

Again, with this, check out the archives of the bee list.  There is great
information in there.  And you don't ever have to wonder how someone takes
your question!

Welcome to bee keeping.  Hope you find it as enjoyable as we(my sons and I)
do.
Tim Rich