From:
Glen van Niekerk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 17:23:45 -0700
The Burlingames( wrote:

> HI Bee Guys and Gals,
>
> I have one hive that the ants are in.
>
>         Dear Meri,

    I had the same problem about 3 days ago. I had just moved my hives
to mango
    trees and when I went back I saw hundreds of these little pests
running all over
    my hives and looting like crazy !(Grrrr!!!)

    I then bought some axle grease and smeared it on the legs of the
hive stands. You
    should also keep your apiary free from long grass against the hives
because the ants
    will use it as a bridge to get on the hive if they are stopped by
the grease. I also have
    heard that when an ant has found some food (your honey) it will
leave a type of
    chemical trail for others to follow. Maybe you could scratch around
in the dirt in an
    attempt to confuse them.

    Glen van Niekerk
    South Africa