From:
Laura Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 1999 23:29:15 -0500
Kathy.

You are absolutely right that not all  WIC moms are ignorant, and as a
WIC mom myself, I did not intend to imply this was the case. However,
while I would love to work on the BF Education staff in your perfect
world, I also see many many grandmothers who are stuggling to raise baby
because mom has returned to prostitution for drug money...I would not
want to be the one to tell them,  Sorry, choose who is going to eat, you
or baby, because we can not help you obtain formula, I guess we should
just let your grandchild starve to death.

On the otherhand, I recently read a story, maybe on this list about a
woman who gave birth in a country other than the US, where formula was
not available. The circumstances required her to nurse, she did, and all
tuned out lovely... Mybe that is the correct approach, no formula at
all, and motherless babies could have donated milk!

Laura